Monday, January 15, 2018

The Rains Came Down...y Tambien el Lodo


Sooooooo, it rained for like two days straight here in Corona. Since we had that big fire when I first came into Corona, all of the brush was burnt down meaning we had a MUD SLIDE. It only hit the houses that were up against the mountains, but it hit them HARD!!!! Friday and Saturday morning were dedicated to helping the Bishop of Prado View Ward and his neighbors shovel mud out of their backyards. I have never seen so much mud in my life...The first day involved shoveling mud into a wheelbarrow and then running it up a small incline and dumping it out.....a very long and physically exerting process. The mud was up to our knees! Then on Saturday, we got some help from other zones and went at it again! We worked on emptying a pool full of mud....so I was in the bottom of a pool, barefoot, carrying buckets of mud out. Super cool, not going to lie.

I think the neatest part of the whole thing was watching the whole community come together. Some off-duty firefighters came and helped on Saturday and a lot of families in the neighborhood  came to help as well. I love how there is light in a time of feeling helpless. The wonderful thing about the Gospel is that the feeling never goes away. We don't need a natural disaster to feel love for others and desire to serve them.....it's a daily objective! That is one blessing I have seen on my mission is how my love for serving has grown. I think I get a little antsy if we don't have an opportunity to serve during the week.



Well, I love y'all and I hope y'all continue to find ways to serve in your homes, in your communities, and in your callings. Because there is no greater joy that we can feel than serving our brothers and sisters and serving our God.

Love,
Hermana Tonini


No comments:

Post a Comment