Monday, July 16, 2018

I Still Have One More Transfer, Right?

I'm sure you are all wondering how I am feeling right now. I feel like Ecclesiastes 2:17 sums it up quite nicely,

"Therefore I hated life.."

Hahaha, just kidding. But it really has been really rough, but I am getting ahead of myself.

LAST WEEK OF THE MISSION:

So on Monday we saw a tender miracle. We did a noche de hogar with an active family how has less-active family members. We shared a message about how the gospel has blessed our families and asked them to each bear their testimonies of how they have seen the gospel bless their lives. The less-active son usually NEVER lets missionaries share messages with him so just the fact that he was sitting at the table with us was a miracle in itself. This was his response:

"I know I am not where I need to be right now...but every time I have found myself in a bad situation I never ended up crossing that line. That line was because of the gospel."

He talked for like ten minutes and it was SO POWERFUL. Inspired questions are SO IMPORTANT. It was very interesting, because he talked about how it is one thing to talk about how God has blessed you. That's easy. Everything you have in life is because of Him. But when you answer how the gospel has blessed you, obviously the blessings still come from our Heavenly Father, but they are blessings that are only received through obedience and living the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Wednesday was the "My Plan" interview with President Hammon. At one point in the interview, tears just began to roll down my cheeks and President started tearing up...I seriously have the best mission president and I am so grateful for him.

Thursday was our outgoing temple trip!! Of course it was super emotional. The room was PACKED. We have 27 in our outgoing group PLUS our rides! I think the most tender part was sitting in the celestial room with Ken, my brother's convert. It was evidence of the fruit of missionary work, and I loved being able to have a piece of my brother with me.

We had an appointment that night with Ana, Abelina and Aurora and I lost it...man...I just love that family so much and we have only met with them three times. We read Alma 2 with them since they hadn't read in the Book of Mormon.  When we asked if they had even a small desire to see if this was a good seed and increase their faith and Abelina responded, "I have a LOT of desire!" I knew that was our last lesson, but I also knew there was a chance it was going to be my last lesson as a missionary. I cried all the way just yearning to have two more years or months or even weeks...

Saturday....wow. Hermana Sorensen and I got to go the temple with HERMANA AND HERMANO GA***. Seriously, I could not have asked for a better way to end my mission. Hermano Ga*** was able to be baptized for his son and then Hermana Ga*** was baptized for Hermano Ga***'s mother. I will never forget hugging Hermana Ga*** after she walked out of that font. I talked to her afterwards in the dressing room and one of the things she told me was that she had goosebumps the whole time, but that she wasn't cold. On the way to the temple, they excitingly told me that they have been starting to recognize more and more the promptings and feelings since they received the gift of the Holy Ghost. Another thing we talked about was trials. When we first starting teaching the Ga*** fam, they were going through a rough time. Hermana Ga*** told me that before we started meeting with them, she would always feel angry at God and ask him why. Why is this happening to ME? But everything changed. For once in her life, her first reaction in facing trials was gratitude. She said that if it weren't for that trial they were going through, she would have never converted. It was during that time that she realized she needed help and support, so she gave us a chance. If their family wouldn't have passed through that challenge, she wouldn't have been standing in the temple with me at that moment. It was so powerful, and we were both in tears.

Sunday...WOW. After church, the ward threw us a despedida/pachanga and it was SO AWESOME. There were members from all of the mission to come see us. There was legit a Hemet table, a Corona corner, and a Moreno Valley bench. Abuelita brought some bomb tres leche, Hermana Beru*** brought pupusas, and Hermana Aza*** brought chile relleno. Let's just say that my Two Days 'till Sexy went out the window.

We had a lesson with Guillermo and it was so fantastic. We tried putting him back on date and we had the best baptism rejection ever. He still doesn't understand the need to be baptized again despite multiple attempts trying to explain it. BUT, he was all, "How about I make you a compromiso?" And he said he will go to the Book of Mormon class on Friday, church on Sunday, AND read and pray about the book of Mormon this whole week. DEAL. The trick for the Elders will be to just focus in on him gaining a testimony of the Restoration because that is the only way getting baptized again is going to make sense for him. I have high hopes for him!

So, that lesson ended at like 8:45 and we still had to do personal study and Hna Hernandez was stressed about packing...I got in the truck and started getting emotional because that was it. But Hernandez was like, "Nah, let's go find us a miracle." Man, you should have seen my face. My eyes got really big and they lit up. So we prayed to know where to go. After like a solid three minutes, a random name came to my mind: Roberto. I had no idea who that was, but I found the only Roberto in the area book planner app, and when I showed it to Hernandez, she was all, "I felt something about him too!" So we sped off, but then after a couple of minutes Hernandez was like, "Hey!!!!!!! There was a lady sitting by herself outside of her house and I feel like we should go talk to her!" So I flipped a hard U-y and we went back. It was super dark outside and it was just about to hit 9:00. SHE LET US TEACH HER. We did like a ten minute lesson with her and we testified with everything we had in us. MAN IT WAS AWESOME. We walked away from her house glowing. We got in the truck, drove home, and sat in the truck, and sobbed. We soaked in every bit. We just felt SO GRATEFUL that we were able to end our missions on such a good note. I felt my Father's love for me and I basked in it.

It was a perfect week. A perfect week to end this 18 month journey. I just want to end one last time with my testimony.

I know that Jesus is the Christ and that He is the head of His church here on the earth. I know that Joseph Smith truly saw Heavenly Father and His son Jesus Christ in the Sacred Grove. I know that the priesthood has been restored here on the earth and that President Russell M. Nelson holds the priesthood keys to be God's mouthpiece for His children. I am so grateful for a modern day prophet that receives revelation to help us in these latter days. I know the Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ. I have come to know Him as I have searched and applied the teachings found in that treasure. I know this is the Lord's work here on the earth. I have loved being able to dedicate this time to Him to bring souls unto Christ. I love being a missionary and I love the Savior.

One last time,
Hermana Tonini





No comments:

Post a Comment