Monday, August 14, 2017

No Sharks + No Peanuts = Baptism

Oh man, where to begin....maybe with the beginning of the week? On Pday, we went to get sushi to celebrate our last time together as Sisters because we knew Sister Ford was leaving...AND SHE IS GOING TO ANZA WITH MY TRAINER WHO IS TEMP ENGLISH MISSIONARY....so here is a picture of uncivilized Hermana Tonini trying to eat sushi. (And yes, it was delicious.)



This week with studies was super neat. I felt like this week the scriptures and conference talks were just speaking to me. I wish I could just write for hours all of the spiritual experiences I am having on the mission but there just isn't TIME.



We got transfer calls and Hna Moran and I are the only ones in the zone staying together!!!! I am super happy to get to work another six weeks with my best friend and kick trash this transfer.

We had a ton of lessons with Monserrath this week because it was the week of her baptism. In one of the lessons we asked if she was still scared for her baptism and she said she was only a little tiny bit scared because on YouTube she saw a video of a shark coming up out of the water and she was afraid there was going to be a shark in the font. Or jellyfish...or anything dangerous. So I whipped out my planner and made a list of things I needed to check for and things that were okay to leave in the font.

Acceptable:

  • sea turtles
  • dolphins
  • fish
Super duper not acceptable:

  • sharks
  • jellyfish
  • sting rays
  • piranhas
  • anacondas
  • bombs
  • cracks (the font would fall apart and she would die....duh.)


So yesterday I whipped out the checklist and we double certified the font was danger-free for Monse.

During that same lesson, she still hadn't decided if she wanted Elder Dew or Elder Spittle to baptize her, so we decided to say everything we knew about the two of them to see if that would help her decide. After going through sports, where they came from, random facts we know like how Elder Dew's sister is getting married and Elder Spittle's sister and dad served in the same mission, I said, "OH I GOT ONE. Elder Spittle is allergic to peanuts!" then Monse's eyes got real big and she goes, "I HATE PEANUTS!"

And that my friends is how we decided who was going to baptize Monse.

Her baptism was incredible, mainly because of what happened the day before her baptism. So their family was gone to Mexico for a whole month this summer because Monse's grandma was dying. Well, on Friday they found out that her grandma passed away and her dad left for Mexico immediately. So her dad wasn't going to be in town for the baptism. Plus her grandma just passed away. On Saturday we were on sick exchanges because Hna Moran is still currently very sick and Sister Mackley wasn't feeling that hot either. So I went with Sister Ford over to the Ayala's house not knowing what I was walking into. One of my strengths is that I am really good at listening when someone breaks down....but usually I never know what to say. I think it is because I am more of a listen and comfort physically instead of comforting through my words. Well, Sister Ford doesn't speak Spanish so it was all up to me. By the end of the lesson, however, Hermana Ayala and I were both in tears. the Spirit just surged through me and I somehow found the words. I was able to share with Monse how I felt when my grandpa died when I was about her age and be able to share the story of Camie and how her dad passed right before her baptism as well. Most of all, I had the opportunity to testify of the Plan of Salvation and of eternal families. Where would we be without our knowledge of the Plan of Salvation? Without knowing that we can see our loved ones again? I truly am grateful for my Savior, because He is central to that perfect plan. Nothing would be possible without Him. I testify that He lives. He loves us. He is our Redeemer and Prince of Peace.












Love,
Hermana Tonini

No comments:

Post a Comment